Alcoholism/ Choosing Not To Drink
Stages of Alcoholism
Early Stage of Alcoholism
Middle Stage of Alcoholism
Late Stage of Alcoholism
Alcoholism and Others
Costs to Society
1. Alcohol related crimes
2. Medical expenses
4. Lost productivity at work
5. Alcohol treatment programs
Alcoholism and the Family
Members of the Alcoholic/Drug Dependent Family
Treatment of Alcoholism
1. _____________________________ – removing all the alcohol from a person’s body; usually experiences withdrawal symptoms that last 3-7 days
2. _____________________________ – the process of learning to cope with the stress of everyday living without alcohol; usually receives counseling to understand disease and behavior
3. _____________________________ – community, religious, and health organizations that offer support for alcoholics and their families
· Alcoholics Anonymous – composed of recovering alcoholics who give encouragement and support to help others stop drinking
· _________________________– helps adult friends and family members of alcoholics learn how they can contribute to the recovery process
· ____________________________ – provides help for teenagers who live with alcoholics
Choosing Not To Drink
1. What are my reasons for not drinking alcohol at this time in my life?
2. Are my friends pressuring me into drinking?
3. Do I feel pressure to drink to impress others?
4. What might happen if I get drunk?
Thinking and Decision Making / Alcohol and Violence
How Alcohol Affects Thinking and Decision Making
Loyalty and Timing of Ads
Neighborhood and Internet