Substance Abuse Web Quest
Teens use alcohol and other drugs for many reasons. They may do it because they want to fit in socially, they like the way drugs or alcohol makes them feel, or they want to feel more grown up. Teens tend to be risk-takers, and they may take drugs or drink alcohol because it seems exciting. Teens who are at the biggest risk for developing serious alcohol or drug problems are those with family members who have problems with alcohol or other drugs. Also, teens who feel that they are not connected to or valued by their parents or who have poor self-esteem or emotional or mental health problems (such as depression) are at increased risk.
Teen substance abuse may be prevented through strong family connections, healthy friendships, and supportive schools and communities. Social support can help build the confidence to resist peer pressure to try drugs. Good communication and a healthy home life may prevent your teen from self-medicating with harmful and often illegal substances.
Your persuasive skills and knowledge about the facts are the tops and some teenagers really need your help! Here is your mission! An advertising firm has hired you to create an anti-drug campaign. Your job is to become an expert on one drug. With this knowledge you will create a brochure. You have been hired because of your age connection to the target audience. You must present the information in such a way to convince teenagers of all the dangers that drug use offers.
In groups of two, you will research one drug and a treatment program available to either addicts or their family. You will become extremely knowledgeable about the drug and treatment program.
Your objectives are:
research and present factual information on the assigned drug or treatment program.
convey the information in a manner that is best understood by teens.
Create a Powerpoint on the drug chosen
Create a brochure on the treatment program chosen
1. Each grup will choose a drug and a treatment program.
2. Each person will conduct research on the drug/treatment program - numbers 3-5 below. You will answer the questions below in your Powerpoint and brochure:
3. While conducting research, find at least three other facts, which your group believes, is important information for a teenager to understand about the drug.
4. Cite three sources that you used to find your information
5. With the drug you researched, you will create an informational flyer; with the treatment program you researched, you will create a brochure. In the brochure creatively include the answers to the questions you researched. Students may use desktop publishing software, or paper, pens, and markers to design the brochure.
Things to use in your presentation:
An easy to read layout
Use a biliography to cite your sources
Cite your sources!!!!
!!!!Copying and pasting is PLAGARISM!!! You will receive a failing grade if you plagarize!!!
Below are a list of web sites to explore for information:
This project will be worth 100 points. Grading will be as follows: