Fad Diet Web Quest
Fad diets play a large role in our society. It seems if you turn on the television in the morning on the weekends, there is always someone or some company promoting a fad diet. From apple cider vinegar to cabbage soup to no carb, low-carb, and all carb diets, it all can be very confusing. Diet aides, such as appetite suppressants, and weight loss programs can be just as confusing. Most of these diets do not work, some of the diets can be very beneficial, but how do you know which are good for you and which are just fads? Is there any way to know what is good for you and what is a waste of money? This web quest will help.
In this web quest, you will research various fad diets, diet aides, and weight loss programs. You will examine fad diets, diet aides and weight loss programs currently on the market and compare them to a balanced diet. You will evaluate one fad diet, one diet aide, and one weight loss program and compare them to the daily nutritional needs we have discussed in class and make any changes or recommendations to the diets based on the information you find.
You will compile your research into a PowerPoint presentation with a minimum of 10 slides. For the 1) fad diet, 2) diet aide, and 3) weight loss program, the following needs to be answered in your presentation:
1) Define the term Fad Diet
Define the term Diet Aide
Define the term Weight Loss Program
2)What is/does this diet supposed to/claim to do?
3) How is the method used (what are the guidelines to follow)?
4) What foods can you eat? What foods can’t you eat?
5) Does the diet promote exercise?
6) Do you receive all the basic nutrients as outlined in class?
7) Does the diet promote or sell supplements and/or other food items?
9) Would you encourage others to use this diet? Why or why not?
10) Add any other important pieces of information you feel are important.
Use the following resources as a tool to guide you as you find your information:
Weight Loss Programs
This project will be worth 100 points. Grading will be as follows:
|Research (25pts.) |
· answers all tasks - 10 pts
· 10 PowerPoint slides - 5 pts
· well-written information - 10 pts
|Content (25pt.) |
· information is accurate and current - 10 pts
· facts are clearly presented - 15 pts
|Organization (25pts.) |
· easy to read lay-out - 15 pts
· logical sequence of information - 10 pts
|Creativity (25pts.) |
. eye-grabbing graphics - 5 pts
· colorful - 5 pts
· neat work - 5
· appeals to target audience (teens) - 5 pts
. easy to follow - 5 pts