BATTLE of the BOOKS
Welcome to Coy Middle School's
Battle of the Books homepage!
Battle of the Books is an extracurricular activity for all students at Coy Middle School who love reading. It is designed to encourage students to read good books and to have fun when competing with their peers.
We have four advisors for Battle of the Books for the 2017-2018 school year.
If you have any questions, please contact one of the following advisors:
Ms. Duke - 8th Grade ELA - Lori.Duke@beavercreek.k12.oh.us
Ms. Mack - 6th Grade ELA - Laurel.Mack@beavercreek.k12.oh.us
Ms. Sears - 8th Grade ELA - Kimberly.Sears@beavercreek.k12.oh.us
Ms. Shirley - 6th Grade ELA - Hilda.Shirley@beavercreek.k12.oh.us
BATTLE OF THE BOOKS PARTICIPANT/TEAM REQUIREMENTS
1. Have questions or want to find some teammates? Come to the informational meeting in the IMC on Thursday, September 17th from 4:00-4:30 p.m.
2. Organize a team of four to five students. Create a team name. Be creative and fun! Don't have a team? Don't worry. We will find a team for you!
3. Complete and submit a 2016-2017 Battle of the Books application. You can print an application from this webpage or pick up an application from the IMC, Ms. Osterfeld's room (room 1505), or Mrs. Shirley's room
3. Turn in your application no later than Thursday, September 15, 2016 at our organizational meeting. You can turn in your application to Mrs. Bush (IMC), Ms. Osterfeld (room 1505), or Mrs. Shirley (room 1711). Make sure you fill out the application completely and legibly (that means we need to be able to read it!).
4. There are FOUR tasks you must complete by our first Battle of the Books meeting (Thursday, October 20).
a. Study and learn the titles and authors on the 2016-2017 BOB book list.
b. Read The Call of the Wild by Jack London
c. Read Missing May by Cynthia Rylant
d. Read The Teacher's Funeral by Richard Peck
It is important that EACH team member completes these tasks before this first meeting. There will be team quizzes at our first meeting! Prizes will be awarded to teams with the highest scores!
5. Continue to read the books on the 2016-2017 Battle of the Books list. Be sure to read in the order outlined on the Battle Books page. There will be discussions, quizzes, and prizes at each BOB meeting based on the assigned group of Battle Books. At our first BOB meeting (October 20), teams will determine their strategy for completing the remaining books on the BOB list. Some teams may opt to have members read all of the remaining books on the list, while other teams may divide the list up among themselves. We will discuss strategies at our first meeting.
6. Attend the remaining BOB meetings: November 17, January 19, February 16, March 16, and April 20. Meetings will take place from 4:00-4:30 pm (except for the April meeting, which will last until 5:00 p.m. because of PIZZA), and all participants are expected to be on time. As of right now, BOB meetings are planned to take place in the Coy Middle School IMC. In order to participate in the preliminary/final Battle rounds, ALL teams must have at least 75% of their teams present at ALL meetings. If you cannot attend a meeting, please let an advisor (Miss Osterfeld or Mrs. Shirley) know.
7. Participate in the preliminary round of the Battle of the Books (May 11, 2017).